The other day I posted about getting settled in Carlsbad and posted a photo of our first real home cooked meal. A reader requested those recipes so here you all go:
Irene's Anadama with Wheat Germ & Honey
Coconut, Sweet Potato & Spinach Curry Soup
(from Anna MacDonald; a friend of a friend)
2 tablespoons ghee (or butter)
500g sweet potato, diced into small cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon medium curry paste (I used a South Indian style paste but you could vary this - Sri Lankan maybe...)
30 ml vegetable stock
400ml coconut milk
lime juice (a good squirt, or equivalent to juice from a single fresh lime)
½ teaspoon dried chilli, chopped or crushed
3 cups fresh spinach, washed and shredded
cracked or ground black pepper
1) Melt the ghee in a large saucepan.
2) Add the sweet potato, onion, garlic, ginger and curry paste. Fry for about 5 mins, until onion softens.
3) Add the stock, coconut milk, lime juice and chilli.
4) Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until sweet potato is tender (15-20 mins?).
5) Leave the soup to cool a little. Puree half of the soup then return it to the saucepan with the remaining chunky soup.
6) Just before serving, add the spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted and the soup has heated through.