Friday, May 15, 2009

Sourdough Bread: Take 1

About a week ago I made my first sourdough starter and I've since used it and made bread. Here's a look at the tasty loaves:

The recipe I used describes the sourdough flavor as "amiable and not too sour" so I am not ready to say yet whether the starter worked well. I could taste a bit of sourness in the bread, but Steve could not. That does not necessarily mean anything as I pay much closer attention, but it does call for another try with a recipe that describes the loaf as having "arresting sourness." Here is the recipe for the bread pictured above. It really is quite good. If you cannot read it and want the recipe - let me know, I will scan it in and email it to you. (The second page of the recipe is a bit blurry - sorry about that.)

I made a tasty veggie spread the other day from Betty Crocker's Easy Everyday Vegetarian and slathered it quite happily on our homemade bread. The spread is so super good! The recipe follows if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Can't wait to visit and eat some of your baked goods:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard it can be hard to get the "sour" taste in the starter. Does it change with age? That spread looks great! I might try that!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please share your thoughts.