Years ago, Steve made a jelly cupboard fashioned around an old window. That particular project took awhile and it's always good to be able to whip out a quick piece if one needs to, so he decided to try a new design. Here's what happened:
1) Take a look at the assortment of scrap doors.
2) Choose one.
3) Choose some boards for the carcass.
4) Make a face frame: dimensions determined by the door dimensions.
5) Screw face frame directly onto side boards.
6) Cut a back board from scrap plywood and nail that to the back of the carcass (I cut recesses into the inside back of the side boards so that the plywood back would not be visible from the sides).
7) Cut and attach base trim.
8) Cut and attach top.
9) Rough-install door and mark where it needs some edge sanding so that it fits nicely.
10) Install shelves and finish piece (that will be in part 2)!