Tuesday, December 6, 2011

High School Metal Shop Still Handy After All These Years!

I pulled this little wheel barrel out of the trash. It had a flat tire (which I repaired) and...


...the plastic "barrel" part was cracked (don't ask me why this is made out of plastic!):


I don't remember much from high school but I do remember a bit from metal shop. For this project I found some metal stapping and, using a hammer and a radius, shaped it to fit...


...the inside radius of the barrel, spanning the crack:


Next I drilled holes (using a metal bit, low rpm's and some oil to facilitate cutting):


Using some machine-thread bolts I fastened two of these straps across the crack:


Here's the repaired and stabilized crack:



This little gem will provide years of service (since we will not overload its light capacity plastic barrel).

1 comment:

  1. Such the handyman, way to go Steve! Amazing what people will throw away. . .

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please share your thoughts.