Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bluebird Box

Jennifer's sister Lori gave us a bluebird box (and the bat box we posted about earlier) for Christmas which we finally put up this past week.



We had a male and female bluebird checking out our wooden bird feeder so we're hoping they might utilize our box if they need a place to nest.  Cavity nesters face quite a challenge to find an empty cavity so these human made boxes can be quite helpful.   If you have experience with bluebird boxes, we would love your tips.

 
We'll keep you posted!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your bluebirds. Mine seemed really serious about my house this year, but I'm still not sure they selected it. It has been up 3 years. I wrote about it a few days ago: http://beyondmygarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/house-hunting.html
    I'm glad you have the baffle on the pole.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J&S...I can't tell real good how wide the opening is on your, but it does look a little big !!
    It also doesn't look like it has a very deep cavity from the hole entrance down!!
    I've had bluebirds every year,since I can remember..
    If you want..go back to April-May of 2010 on my blog and there are bluebird post there,but nellie (Beyond my garden) has about the same houses I use!!
    There are some very good sites to visit on Bluebirds only!! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh! I hope you get some takers! Julie Zickefoose has some great bluebird tips. You'd probably have to search around on her blog for them.
    PS: your card were mailed yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. grumble...grumble...grumble...my experience with a blue bird box was that the purple martins came in and kicked them out! We have blue birds here, so we're gonna try again! ~Vonnie, NH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips everyone! We will check out the resources you sent us. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please share your thoughts.