Monday, March 2, 2009

Gardening in the Desert, WHAT?

So I am freaking out a bit. Gardening season is just around the corner in the mid-west and I am thinking about seed starting, cool season crops, etc. Our food stash from the last growing season is almost gone and we are ready to start replenishing. The only caviat? We are moving to the desert! I don't know how to garden there! I picked up the few books our local library has on gardening in the desert and am trying to glean all I can as quickly as I can. (The book in the bottom right is actually about gardening in Iowa so it's an understood contrast.) To make all this harder it seems we will be arriving in the desert just as the summer heat starts to pick up - not a good planting time. Planting in late winter and the fall seems to be the best in the desert. I guess it will give us time to adjust and learn more. The other challenge we have is how to garden from an apartment! Oh my. This will be quite the experiment.

3 comments:

  1. Just follow along with The Little Engine That Could and repeat to yourself "I think I can, I think I can."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good luck! I have to say I'm incredibly spoiled with the soil and climate around here. I wish you well on this adventure - I'm sure you'll figure it out, it'll just be different, is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog! Found it when I searched for home made plant press instructions. In what part of the desert will you be living? You should check out my blog, thegrowingproject.blogspot.com. Best of luck with your move and new life! ~Candice (Orange Poppy)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please share your thoughts.