They spent much time going in and out, but built no nest.
Suspecting some dissatisfaction, perhaps due to the shallowness of the box we added another bluebird box.
We built a baffle out of scrap aluminum left here in one of the many piles of junk.
Steve made a fancy cap for the baffle...
and we placed the baffle on the new nest box location west of the garden.
We didn't walk five feet away and the male bluebird landed on top of the box...
and began scoping the new digs.
He brought his lady friend right over and the two began a long morning of back and forth trips, with you guessed it - nesting material.
Here's a peak at the partially completed nest.
The male is now starting to defend this space. He needs to: that same morning a male and female tree swallow and Carolina chickadee checked out the box. (We need to add more boxes!) Check out his perch below.
A pair of American robins are working on a nest in the green barn too. We're hoping for successful nesting!