How does one combine the carcass of a junk dresser and the shell of a junk piano (both of which I salvaged from dumpster fodder)? Well, I needed a workbench and so why not go for that?
The largest piece of left-over piano would be the top and the dresser carcass the base:
The dresser legs had to go as did the top lip of one side of the dresser carcass (so that the top of the workbench would go on level):
I screwed the top down:
Braced-up the back and sides of the base for stability:
And added some "outriggers" on the bottom of the base so that the whole works wouldn't be tippy (for the outriggers I used the piano legs):
Here it is, ready for use. The wood scraps on the top right of the bench are from the piano frame (I'll use those for some carvings):
It's even pretty darn level - and I didn't even try! Just enough pitch for the rain to run off (yes, I'll be working outside - apartment living does not allow for an inside workspace). The weather here is fine for outside work, though, as it's been dry with highs in the upper 60's to low 70's.
Now I have everything I need to finally get back to woodcarving!