Here's Part 1
Now, on to Throw-Away Window Inspired Jelly Cupboard, Part 2.
Here's what the cupboard looked like after I had put in part of a good day on it. It still needed sanding, shelves and a door latch of some sort.
A bit of sanding and I was able to bring out some interesting patterns from the old layers of paint on the window:
And from the variously weathered barn siding:
After consulting with Jennifer...
I set to work on the shelves:
I simply attached short horizontal rails on either side of the softwood framing (while considering desired shelf spacing) and then cut barn siding pieces to fit:
Now for the window latch. The window had a latch from days-0f-yore but I did not have the matching part which would attach to the framing face board. What to do?
Well, I did happen to have one part of a magnetic latch from days-of-now, so I screwed that to the inside of the window:
And then I made the counterpart with a scrap block of wood and a piece of metal strap. This contraption was screwed underneath one of the shelves and would serve to pull the window shut by attracting the magnetic part of the latch (above):
Here you can see the arrangement of the whole works - with the days-of-yore latch on the outside of the window, the days-of-now magnetic latch on the inside of the window and the metal contraption to the left of that and underneath a shelf:
That was it. It was finished. We brought it inside:
We put some stuff inside:
We put some stuff on top:
And we felt good about our little-window-that-could!